Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Father's Day

Today is Father's Day and for some reasons, Father's Day don't seems to be as widely celebrated as compared to Mother's Day as least I speaks for my family :p

Since it's Father's Day, I shall dedicate this blog to him. He is a good father and a good husband which I really can learn from. He never really shouts at my mum even though my mum always nags and complains about him. Everytime, they argue (I don't think they even really quarrelled) my dad will use the 'keeps quiet and walks away' approach. To me, it's a good approach. 2 person in the heat of an argument will blurt out things that can be very hurtful to each other so the best way is to go away and cool down first. Everytime it works because after a couple of 'cold war' days, I will see my dad fetching my mum to the market or my aunt's place in Malaysia etc Since I was born, my dad has always been playing the 'good' guy role who hardly nags at us while my mum's the punisher. Once in a while, he will give us 'lectures' on what's good and what's bad in life.

Another good example set by my dad is that he don't smokes, drinks beer occasionally and don't gamble (if 4D, ToTo and Big Sweep is not counted) until recently I introduce mahjong to him but then it's only leisure gambling with my relatives.

One thing sad about my dad is the fact that he is never good with money and planning his career. He started he career in construction back in the 1970s where the construction industry was blooming in Singapore. If he had planned and expand his business right, I might have to take over his business now instead of waiting for my paycheck every month. Nevertheless, I am not complaining because not all the things in life are so smooth sailing. Who knows what I might have become if I'm born with a silver spoon.

Missed those days when I will challenge my dad to a game of Chinese chess and he will give me the advantage of having a 'Pao' (cannon) less on the chess board and those days when he will bring us to watch the latest Jackie Chan movies in a drive through cinema.

Nowadays, I don't challenge him to a game of chess anymore, in fact I don't even know if I still remembers how to play Chinese chess. How many of us are guilty of taking our father for granted? Have you have a good chat with your dad recently?

Since my dad is a durian lover, as a Father's gift, we get him some durians today. Hope he like it. Besides that, I like to say a BIG thank you to my father for setting a good example for me to follow (eeerr... Hope I can do better on the career part) and you are the greatest dad I have seen.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there.

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger lAzy pAnda said...

tat's soooo sweet of u.... :)

but err...... teaching ur dad mahjong??!! hmm..... hehehe.....

i seriously forgot abt father's day.... but the good thing is, my dad is in HK for holiday!!!! heng aahhh~~~~ hahahaha

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger kittyn said...

actually that is a good idea..... cos mahjong help older ppl exercise their mind and helps keep 老人痴呆症 at bay....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home