Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Close call

Just came back from a dive trip in Malaysia. There were some issues prior to this dive trip, however, I still end up going for it. I was going there with the following purposes: to get away for awhile and to test out my new Canon housing. Diving was expected to be very much on your own. Buddies were not assigned. Even if it was assigned, I doubt it made any differences because the visibility was terrible. The maximum distance I can see was about 5m. A turn of your head will made you loss sight of your buddy (if any).

During the first dive of the 2nd day, I brought 2 cameras down to test the difference of quality between Lumix and Canon. It wasn't a very bright idea. When I was left with 50 bars of air and had decided to ascend for safety stop, I realised I dropped my brand new Canon camera. Panic sets in, I must find the camera was the only thing I can think of. Huge relief when I saw the camera laying on the seabed. I grabbed the camera and to my horror, I was left with 10 bars of air. I got no choice but to ascend quickly. My dive computer beeps asking me to slow my ascending rate down. Sucking as hard as I can to draw whatever left in the tank and making my way up. At 3m depth, NO air comes out from the tank. I make a dash for it and managed to pop up to the surface before my lungs went empty.

Close call and luckily I made it this time. Have to be extra careful in future, don't think I am that lucky all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home